Year to Remember
Dec. 17, 2013
In this last issue of “Inside IUPUI” before the holiday break, I thought it would be a good time to do a year in review. What a year it has been!
- January was the opening of what would formally be named Hine Hall in an August ceremony, the first stage of reconfiguring the former University Place Hotel and Conference Center for student space.
- February brought us the draft report of the Higher Learning Commission on reauthorization of our accreditation, with praise from the site visitors for IUPUI’s being an “innovator and a national leader in general education,” an “important driver of the economy of central Indiana,” and an institution with a “ commitment to addressing community-identified problems.”
- March saw the emergence of the first drafts of recommendations by the task forces and stakeholders engaged in strategic planning—a glimpse into our future.
- April was the formal inauguration of the Lilly Family School of Philanthropy as well as the ribbon cutting for the Eskenazi Fine Arts Center—two examples of the wonderful community support which has helped us to grow our academic programs in challenging times.
- May brought us the second largest graduating class in our history. We awarded more than 6,300 degrees all total, but it was the largest number of baccalaureates ever—at 3,819.
- June and July was a time of transition in leadership of our professional schools, with Andy Klein becoming the dean of the McKinney School of Law, Paul Halverson as the founding dean of the Fairbanks School of Public Health, and Jay Hess as the new dean of our School of Medicine.
- August welcomed 560 students to new campus housing with the grand opening of the University Tower.
- September was the festive celebration of our gratitude to those who contributed to the IMPACT Campaign—a record $1.39 billion was raised.
- October—Cynthia Simon Skjodt created the Melvin Simon Chair in Philanthropy at the IU Lilly Family School of Philanthropy, symbolizing the Simon family’s philanthropic commitment and creating an attractive position to recruit another talented scholar to the faculty.
- November capped off the year of facilities development with the dedication of the beautifully designed Science and Engineering Laboratory Building.
- December—we take time to reflect, be grateful, and look ahead to celebrating IUPUI’s 45th anniversary in 2014 and the groundbreaking ceremony for University Hall!
Comments? Write email@example.com.